Monday, March 2, 2015

Happy Birthday Doc!

"A person's a person, no matter how small." - Dr. Seuss.  
I've been having a lot of fun introducing my daughter to the world of Dr. Seuss.  Here are a couple Dr. Seuss themed activities and snacks we did this past week.  


Count and Match
This was an easy game to put together!  I picked up the Dr. Seuss cards at the Target Dollar Spot, and made the mat with construction paper and a sharpie.  I gave Isla one card at a time.  She counted the number of Seuss characters on the card and then put the card under the matching number.  The card set came with numbers up to 20, so this game can easily be differentiated.  I plan on laminating the cards before we use them again.  I think we will get a lot of use out of these and I don't want them to get destroyed!  


Green Eggs and Ham Counting Games
Target conveniently has 12 packs of green plastic eggs in their Easter section, which is where I got these.  We tried out different ways to play with them.  In the picture above Isla is opening up the eggs and counting how many hams are inside.  I only put between 1-5 hams in each egg.  The hams are from some clip art I had.  (My clip art collection is so big now I never know what I may find!)


The beginning of the video is cut off, but she did start at one.  I'm working on my video skills!

The biggest hit was simply transferring the eggs back and forth between the egg carton and a bowl.  She LOVED this game!  She is very into "I do it!" these days, and this was a game she could enjoy independently.  It went on for quite a while.  A great way to practice one to one correspondence!

 Cat in the Hat Pizza
I knew I wanted to make a Cat in the Hat Pizza, but couldn't find an example with a cat anywhere online.  So, I made up this pizza design myself!  I used a crescent roll for the the dough and cut it into the cat in the hat shape.  Then I added tomato sauce, some Italian seasoning, and covered it with mozzarella cheese.  I used pepperoni for the hat and olives for the face.  When I showed Isla she knew exactly who it was, so I guess that means I did a good job.  It was easy to make and didn't take long at all!


Cat in the Hat Snack
I saw these cat hats somewhere (I don't remember where), using a lollipop stick to hold the strawberries and bananas together.  I had pretzel sticks so I used those instead and added a blueberry for the face.  Then added a few colored goldfish crackers to it and it was done!  

I hope you have a great time celebrating the great Dr. Seuss!

1 comment: